Thursday, June 27, 2013

Fun in the sun.

 
 Girlfriend "needed" a new swimsuit.  Okay, maybe not, but I really was itching to make one.  I bought this pattern last year intending to make one, but never got around to it. 

 


Her Uncle Jake who just got home from being away for 2 years gave her these glasses he bought while on his mission, he has a matching pair but blue.  "I am supposed to wear them to the lake with  him because we are best friends"  That is all she has talked about all day:)

It is the Coney Island Tankini, both top and bottom are size 7.  She was in between a 6 + 7, so it is a little big on her for now, but certainly still wearable.  I got my black and white dots from girlcharlee and the white from a local shop.  The white gave me quite a headache, it curled so much!  I think I need to invest in some spray starch. 

Because of my troubles with the curling, I did the bottom band a little different, instead of folding it like bias tape as instructed, I folded it in half  and serged it to the tank, then ironed and  zig zag stitched it flat. 





The tank is fully lined, so no itchy seams.  Since the pattern pieces didn't indicate to cut a main and a lining fabric and I didn't read the instructions through before cutting, I ended up cutting everything out in the b+w dots, I would have rather had the inside be white and save my precious pretty fabric for another top (for the twins maybe?), but alas, I will know for next time. (the pieces were named "liner", I just didn't realize I was meant to cut them out of a different fabric, blame it on a sleep deprived sewing day I suppose)



I also did the bottoms a little different, I used the Ottobre method for the waistband (sew the elastic to the wrong side of the fabric then turn it under and sew again) and actually cut off an inch from the top before sewing on the elastic as they went up past her belly button!  They are still a little long, but better. 

At the risk of tooting my own horn, I think it turned out pretty cute! Sure, if you look close up it has it's flaws, but I am counting on her to swim fast;)  She has requested another suit from this in my stash, but the twins actually need a new suit (one minimum) so they will have to come first.  We are taking a trip to Lake Powell in a few weeks and need to be prepared!

12 comments:

  1. Its super snappy and I love her sunnies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great on her! I love the ruching on the top.:) My girls are in dire need of new suits but I still have a few woven projects to complete before I switch over the the stretch needle.;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a fun detail:) You're better than me! I switch back and forth and set the needle off to the side thinking I will remember what it was, yeah, I don't usually;)

      Delete
  3. This is wonderful, great fabric choices too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, fantastic. I love those practical boy shorts and the top is just great. And could she BE any more cool in those sunglasses? I think not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I just got the "Friends" episode flashback where Chandler's employees make fun of him for emphasizing words:) Thanks Inder! She really prefers the boy shorts:)

      Delete
  5. brittney, i'd love to feature your suit in a post i'm writing... will you email me at rachael@imaginegnats.com so i can give you the details? thank you!!

    ReplyDelete