Saturday, June 9, 2012

flashback remix.

Big twin a.k.a . Elizabeth has outgrown (or is close to) all of her 6m clothing, so .... time to make new ones!  When I was preggo with them I bought a few outfits as I wasn't sewing at the time and one of my all time favorite dresses I bought was from Carter's.  It was a knit, empire style that hit just below the diaper.  So, tunic length, I suppose.  Plus it was one of the 2 for 1 outfits on the hanger, so there were two coordinating dresses with one diaper cover.  I love to dress them in coordinating outfits, not a fan of identical outfits, just personal prefrence.  So anyway, when I started sewing I knew I wanted to copy it. ... And finally did!  I took the made-by-rae flashback skinny tee pattern and shortened the bodice, made it longer (obviously, ha!), widened the dress part, lowered the front neckline and added to the sleeve to gather it and make it more "girly". Phew! Did you get all that?



My serious little child:)

I used a knit I bought online from girlcharlee (the same one as the blue tee from yesterday) and it was a pain to work with.  Not only did it curl really bad, but I couldn't use it for the neckband! Grr. I tried to use it, but it wouldn't stretch enough.  Yesterday I thought it was something I did wrong when I sewed it on, but nope!  It was the material (though it was my fault, I should have tested it before I sewed it to the shirt).  So anyway, I used a dark purple ribbing for the neck binding.


Gathered in the front...


the back...



And the sleeves.



Then the length.  It is a little long for now, but she is in the smaller range for this size of the pattern so it is a little big around her chest (oh, btw it is the 12m size!).  Though, I guess it can never be too long... because you can always shorten it!  I used just a solid so that I wouldn't "waste" my fun stuff if it didn't turn out like I wanted, but I am really happy with how it turned out and already thinking of other ways to modify this pattern! 

4 comments:

  1. The dress came out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dress looks both beautiful and comfy. And the blue really suits her so well. My older daughter was and is very serious. I love your pictures of your serious girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out so cute! I'm going to attempt something similar. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete